June 14, 2008

Vishu Kanji


Vishu Kanji is a special traditional recipe that is prepared on the day of Vishu. Vishu represents the passing of sun from Taurus to Aries. It is believed to be the ideal time to start cultivation. In olden days, kanji was the preferred breakfast in most farming families. May be , the kanji is also made special to fit the occasion of Vishu.

We don't follow the tradition of making this kanji on Vishu day. But I get to taste that on Vishu day, thanks to my kind neighbors , both before and after marriage. When my BIL and family came down for vacation after Vishu, I decided to make this for them. They all enjoyed the kanji very much. Even those who doesn't have a liking for the regular kanji, will love this. Since then the photos were waiting to be posted in my drafts folder.

Parboiled rice preferable rose matta - 1 cup

raw rice/long grain rice - 1/2 cup

moong dal - 1/2 cup

mochapayaru/mochakottai - 1/2 cup

fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
salt to taste

I don't know the English name for mochha. With googling I found, lima beans is a close substitute for this.

Mix salt with grated coconut and keep it aside.

Dry roast moong dal and mochapayaru separately till you can smell the aroma. Lightly crush the mocha using the mixer grinder, so that the skin comes out. It should not be powdered. I use the traditional grinding stone ie. Ammikal.

Wash both the rice and add moong dal,mocha payaru cook with 6 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Since rosematta takes much time to cook, I cook it separately and mix everything later. If you are cooking on stove top, Start with rosematta, when it is half boiled, add the raw rice and grams. The rice and grams should not turn mushy. Once cooked, you can adjust the consistency by adding more hot water.

Add the coconut to the kanji and serve hot or cold. It taste good both ways. Avial pairs very well with this kanji.




Let me also join Sangeeth in her attempt to Eat Healthy-Fibre Rich.

13 comments:

  1. My mom makes this, she doesn't make it specialy for the vishu, she makes them as she tells it is healthy.
    I think last time I ate this i was 20 and that is years and years and years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...
    This sounds so healthy. YUM!.... Looks great. Very different recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice healthy one..different entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. A comfort bowl Jayasree. Nice to read the story behind it. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make it with chana dhal not mochai , sounds delicious , i love the kanji

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the kanchi...thanks for the entry

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would agree with you, Jayasree, but I am yet find kanji nice.:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me.Should ask mom about it.Being so-called kerala iyers and staying away from kerala does deprive you,esp on the culinary front :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy and healthy.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another new one for me, Jaya! Great entry:) A nice change from the usual kichdis I make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! Jayasree - do visit me soon...for the little something I have for you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.