January 7, 2009

Aval Payasam



One day while I was discussing with my husband about what payasam to prepare for our friends who were coming for dinner. Most of the times, after this kind of discussion, I end up making semiya payasam, since that is the easiest and there is very less to mess up with. And I can concentrate on the other dishes of the menu. And hubby is all happy for semiya payasam. But I was bored of preparing it. And I decided to go for aval payasam. Its long time since I prepared it. The preparation is almost similar to semiya payasam.

Aval/Beaten rice/rice flakes (thick variety) - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 litre
Sugar - 1/2 cup (Add a heaped cup if you want it very sweet)
cardamom powder- 1/2 tspn
cashew/raisin
ghee - 1 tblspn
Yellow color - a pinch (optional)

Heat ghee in a pan. Roast cashew and raisin. Drain them and keep it aside. In the remaining ghee, roast aval till brown. If you find some bran in the aval, rinse it in water after roasting. Add a cup of boiling water to the roasted aval. When aval is fully cooked, add milk. Bring to a boil and allow it to simmer till milk reduces in volume to 3/4 of the original quantity . Add sugar. Boil till the sugar is fully dissolved and blended well the liquid mixture. Stir in the roasted cashew and raisins and half a teaspoon of cardamom powder.
Remove from fire. Serve hot/cold

Note: To get an even texture of the rice flakes, you can pulse them in the mixer for few seconds after roasting.



27 comments:

  1. I love aval, never had payasom with them.
    Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make aval kesari during Navaratri, but never tried payasam. Recipe sounds tempting, and the color looks great - shows how much the milk has reduced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would this payasam suit Chettinad cuisine? You could send it to RCI, looks delicious! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks inviting!Nice recipe. Have added you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Aval payasam, it is long time i made it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delecious payasam jayashree

    ReplyDelete
  7. never tried payasam with aval..sounds good,,am going to trythis..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also like aval payasam very much. Recently I tried Indira's version of making it with almond milk, which was also very tasty.

    Reg. the logo, you are right Jayashree, it's new. We uploaded it last night only. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually make palada pradaman in kerala cuisine, never tried aval payasam. looks nice. have to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow wat a delish payasam. feel like to have the bowl full right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! perfect treat for the guests:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. sooper yaar..you dint tell us what aval to use...Thin or Thick?

    ReplyDelete
  13. HC, try this payasam, you will like it.

    Harini,i have never tried aval kesari. Its in my to-be-tried

    list.

    Ashakka, thanks for reminding abt RCI.

    Anu, thank you for the nice gesture.

    Cham, its easy to make isn't it?

    Sagari, thanks.

    sowmya, try and let me know how u liked it.

    priyanka, thanks.

    madhuram, will check Indira's version


    sharmi, compared to palada, this is much easier to make. Try it.

    Adlak,thanks. Take the full bowl:)


    Yasmeen, you are right.


    anu, use thick avil. Thanks for pointing it out. Updated my post too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy pongal to u,and this kheer(guess i can call it kheer)sounds too good,and i never ever had tasted the combination of aval and milk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Sankranthi Jaya! Payasam looks so mouth-watering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had aval payasam... I should try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks good. Belated happy new year, Jaya...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow,Looks super.Always thght this was very difficult to prepare.Reducing the milk as you did gives a nice texture and yes it is better to pulse aval as that again enhances the texture.Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. never tried aval payasam.... i too always go for the no hassle semiya... will try out ur aval payasam..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ya - very novel. Never tried aval payasam before!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow payasam looks very inviting!! U have a nice blog :)

    Am Anu from My Scrawls.I have posted my version of aval payasam in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was actually looking for the term Aval( I was doing a a project in nutrition (software )) , and i accidently found ur blog, this is fantastic work
    I admire it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Arun for your lovely comment. Glad to know you found my blog interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.