March 9, 2011

Strawberry in two avatars - Milkshake and Shrikand

I am putting the strawberry season to full use. And this is the first time I have access to strawberries which doesn't cost a bomb. And we are nearing the end of the strawberry season here. I have frozen quite a few and made two bottles of jam. The easiest way to use them is to make milkshake for breakfast. Its made atleast twice in a week during the season. Occassionaly, I make strawberry flavored Shrikand too. That is also quite easy except that hung curd has to be made. Often I forget to reserve the curd to prepare hung curd and by the time I realise I would have churned the curd to make buttermilk. At home, we prefer buttermilk than curd. Though the plain Shrikand is not much favored by husband, he loves the strawberry flavored one. So here is two super easy recipes with strawberry. In fact, there isn't much to write about  in terms of the recipe. Here is I how I make it.

Strawberry Milkshake


You need
  • Strawberries - 10 -12 nos
  • Chilled milk - 2 cups
  • Sugar - 2 tblspn (Or use honey)

 Method
Wash and hull the strawberries. Cut into halves. Blend the halved strawberries along with sugar to fine puree. Add the chilled milk and pulse for few second. Pour into glasses and chill it if you are not serving immediately.



 
Strawberry Shrikhand


You need
  • Hung curd - 1 cup
  • Strawberries - 8 to 10 nos
  • Sugar - 2 tblspn
  • Cardamom powder - 1/2 tspn
Method
To get hund curd, take 4 cups of curd in a cheese cloth. Tie it and hang it to drain the whey or the liquid in the curd. What remains is the creamy curd. I usually hang it in inside the fridge so that the curd doesn't turn sour.

Puree the strawberries with sugar. Beat the curd till smooth. Add the sweetened strawberry puree. Mix well. Finally add cardamom powder. Chill and serve. Garnish with chopped pistachios/almonds/chiroli  while serving


20 comments:

  1. Strawberry Shrikhand is a first for me.Must have tasted great.Shall try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very quick, Shalini. Do try the shrikand. You will surely like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew preapring shrikand is so easy,both are sounding great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both looks very yummy n shrikand must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shrikand is in my try list for a long time.Love this version. Too good..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both milkshake and srikand looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drool worthy avatars....both temp me...easy and indulging recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am particularly in love with the shrikand. We too are not very fond of plain shrikand but a fruit addition makes it interesting. Love the way it holds in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both together tempts me a lot, very addictive shrikhand..yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely jayashree, shrikhand is very interesting, I have strawberries I will try this out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of them, I can have even in cold days :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. two very delectable preparations! I recently blogged a kheer with strawberry -http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/03/strawberry-paayasumkheer.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow..nice clicks n great recipe dear..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did not know Shrikand was so easy to make. Should try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Milkshake and shrikand looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.