July 24, 2011

Masale Bhaat ~ Spicy Tindora Pulao

Today, I decided to make the famous masale bhat of Maharashtra. This is the marathi version of the popular vegetable pulao. This is so different from our regular vegetable pulao and is slightly on the spicier side. I had a newspaper cutting which had this recipe. But then I thought recipe from a blog will be more authentic and I chose the recipe from Ashwini's Food For Thought. She says this is a must for the wedding lunch and explains the wedding menu in detail. And positive feedback in the comment section of that recipe made me for this.  She had mentioned that traditionally, it is made using the 'ambe mohar' , short grain rice variety. And I wanted the authentic taste so bought that rice variety to try this. 



You need
  • Short grain raw rice - 1 cup (ambe mohar is preferred)
  • Ivy gourd/Tindora/Kovakkai - 1 cup, quartered
  • Cashewnuts - 8-10 nos, broken
  • Salt to taste
  • Water - 2 cups

To temper
  • Oil - 3 tblspn
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Green chillies - 2 nos, slit
  • Hing - few shakes

Masala - To roast and grind
  • Copra - 1/3 cup, grated
  • Coriander seeds - 2 1/2 tblspn
  • Cumin -  2 tspn
  • Sesame seeds - 1 tblspn ( I used white)
  • Cloves - 4 nos
  • Cinnamon - 2 1 inch sticks

Method
Roast the ingredients for masala in a kadai till the copra turns brown. No oil is added while roasting. Cool and powder it. Keep it aside. 
Chop the tindora into quarters. Wash the rice in several changes of water till the water runs clear. Heat a kadai or cooker pan with 3 tablespoon of oil. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add curry leaves, hing, cashew and slit green chillies. Then add the chopped tindora. Saute for few minutes till the tindora starts to change color. Add the rice and give a gentle mix. Then add the powdered masala. Mix well so that the masala coats the  rice and tindora well. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Cover with a lid and cook till the rice is well cooked and there is no moisture left. 
Fluff with fork and serve hot with a side of raita and papad. 



The rice was spicy and the tindora gives a nice flavor to the rice. You can reduce the masala to suit your spice levels. I would say add 3/4th of the masala, check and adjust. 



Do check out what my friends are cooking for the marathon.


19 comments:

  1. Never made tindoora pulao before .. looks yummy.

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tindora rice... yours looks super appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking pulao. Lovely combination.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my fav dishes! my mom used to make it regularly. unfortunately, neither hubby nor son enjoy it much, so i have almost forgotten how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have tried this from Ashwini's blog. Tastes so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to make this a really LONG time ~ now having seen your delcious platter, I can't wait to gove it a try :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering what that green thingy was in the rice..its so colorful and eye-catching! I never knew that Tindora can be added like a bean or peas in a masala rice. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting use of tindora.Never used it in rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A spicy and a different pulao as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely..maasalebhaat is again one of my fav...
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am BM this, I will have to try this, I usually make tindora with vangibath or Masala chitra anna, this has a little different spice mix, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.